EF 17-40MM F/4L USM
Ultra-wide or standard zoom
The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM acts as an ultra-wide angle zoom on film or full-frame digital EOS cameras. On DSLRs equipped with APS-C sized sensors it acts as a standard zoom, giving an angle of view equivalent to a 28-70mm lens on a full-frame camera.
The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM is an ultra wide-angle zoom lens that offers excellent image quality and a constant maximum aperture. Its compact, lightweight body makes it an ideal travelling companion.
- Superb optical performance throughout the zoom range
- Fast autofocus speed
- Highly resistant to dust and moisture
- 28cm minimum focusing distance at all focal lengths
Close focusing - Minimum focusing distance is just 28cm throughout the entire zoom range.
Superior optical performance - The EF17-40mm f/4L USM has 12 lens elements arranged in nine groups. Super Spectra coating ensures excellent colour balance and minimises ghosting and flare. To provide superb image quality over the complete 17-40mm zoom range the lens uses three aspheric elements. Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass prevents chromatic aberrations.
Ultrasonic focusing - A ring-type ultrasonic motor drives autofocus extremely quickly, and in near silence. Excellent holding torque ensures the point of focus is reached accurately, without overshooting. Furthermore, full-time manual override is available, making it possible to adjust focus without leaving AF mode.
Non-rotating front element - the front of the lens does not rotate, which makes using specialised filters, such as polarisers and graduates, easier. A drop-in gelatine-filter holder can be found at the back of the lens.
Smooth background blur - a virtually circular aperture diaphragm gives out of focus regions a softer, more uniform feel. Sharp foreground objects stand out against a smooth blurred background.
Weather resistant - Highly resistant to moisture and dust, the EF17-40mm f/4L USM is ideally suited for use in harsh environments. Environment friendly lead-free glass is used throughout its construction.
Claim €150 cashback with selected camera
Purchase one of the selected EOS Cameras and then purchase one of the selected Canon lenses either with the camera or within 90 days to claim up to your cashback from Canon UK & Ireland (Not valid with any other Canon offer, T&Cs apply). Reward must be claimed via the Online Claim Form. Offer extended indefinitely.
As at 20/06/2018 qualifying cameras include:
- EOS M6
- EOS M5
- EOS 5D MARK III
- EOS 5D MARK IV
- EOS 5DS
- EOS 5DS R
- EOS 1D X MARK II
- EOS 80D
- EOS 6D MARK II
- EOS 6D
- EOS 7D MARK II
- EOS 77D
- Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl) - 93° - 49°20', 70°30' - 34°, 104° - 57°30'
- Lens construction (elements/groups) - 12/9
- No. of diaphragm blades - 7
- Minimum aperture - 22
- Closest focusing distance (m) - 0.28
- Maximum magnification (x) - 0.24 (at 35mm)
- AF actuator - USM (Mechanical full-time manual focusing built-in)
- Filter diameter (mm) - 77
- Max. diameter x length (mm) - 83.5 x 96.8
- Weight (g) - 500
- Magnification - Extension Tube EF12 II - 0.83 - 0.32
- Magnification - Extension Tube EF25 II - 1.02 - 0.70 (Only compatible at tele)
- Lens Cap - E-77U / E-77II
- Lens hood - EW-83E
- Soft case - LP1319
- Extenders EF1.4x II and EF2x II - Not compatible