EF 50MM F/1.8 STM
Great for portraiture & low light settings
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM replaces the popular EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens which was affectionately known for giving outstanding picture quality at an affordable price. This latest version gives the same stunning photo quality but with a fast, near-silent focus motor and a more robust build that belies its price. It is compatible with all EOS cameras including mirrorless using the EF-EOS M Mount Adapter.
With the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens you can easily produce more artistic and impactful photography thanks to a wide f/1.8 aperture that produces sharp focus on your subject and a beautiful blurred background.
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is great for:
- Portraiture - perfect for capturing expressions on the faces of friends and family, ideal for weddings, events and parties
- Low light - Perfect when you find yourself in darker conditions capturing nightscapes, firework displays or interiors
- Everyday - Capture life as it happens in front of you from the streets of your town to capturing the emotions of events
The wide f/1.8 aperture of the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM gives you the ability to bring your subject into sharp focus and blur the background. Photographers refer to this as a ‘narrow depth of field’ and makes your subject stand out which is great for portraits, as people become the clear focus of your shot.
The wide f/1.8 aperture lets in more than 8x the amount of light compared to the standard zoom lens that is provided with your EOS*. This results in sharper images with less motion blur and reduced need to use flash in dimly lit conditions so you can easily capture the atmosphere of a low light environment.
The 50mm focal length allows you to fill the frame with your subject from a comfortable distance making it a great lens for portraits. A similar perspective to the human eye and its compact size make the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM a great everyday lens to always carry with your EOS camera.
The near-silent STM (Stepping Motor) technology focuses extremely quickly when shooting photos, so you can react suddenly to capture fleeting moments. Creating high quality movies is easier with STM as it delivers steady and quiet continuous focusing, so your movies are smooth, and soundtracks only capture the surrounding sounds and not the noise of a focusing motor.
Claim €20 cashback with a qualifying camera!
Purchase one of the selected EOS Cameras and then purchase one of the selected Canon lenses either with the camera or within 90 days to claim up to your cashback from Canon UK & Ireland (Not valid with any other Canon offer, T&Cs apply). Reward must be claimed via the Online Claim Form. Offer extended indefinitely.
As at 20/06/2018 qualifying cameras include:
- EOS M6
- EOS M5
- EOS 5D MARK III
- EOS 5D MARK IV
- EOS 5DS
- EOS 5DS R
- EOS 1D X MARK II
- EOS 80D
- EOS 6D MARK II
- EOS 6D
- EOS 7D MARK II
- EOS 77D
- Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl) - 40º, 27º,46º
- Lens construction (elements/groups) - 6/5
- No. of diaphragm blades - 7
- Minimum aperture - 22 (if using 1/3stop increments)
- Closest focussing distance (m) - 0.35
- Maximum magnification (x) - 0.21
- Distance Information - Yes
- AF actuator - STM
- Filter diameter (mm) - 49
- Max. diameter x length (mm) - 69.2 x 39.3
- Weight (g) - 160
- Lens cap - E-49
- Lens hood - ES-68
- Lens case/pouch - LP1014
- Rear cap - Lens Dust Cap E
- Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF12 II - 0.45-0.24
- Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF25 II - 0.74-0.53